Patricia D. Brown
Curriculum Vitae 2016
Executive Director and Spiritual Director, Spiritworks Center for Formation and Leadership. Ordained Elder in Full Connection under episcopal appointment by The United Methodist Church, Susquehanna Conference.
Bereavement Services Manager, VITAS Healthcare Pittsburgh.
2010 Certificate, Interim-Ministry Education, Pittsburgh School of Theology, Pittsburgh, PA. for experienced pastors to work with congregations during pastoral transition and/or congregational transformation.
2002 Ph.D. in Pastoral Theology and Practical Spirituality, Graduate College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences of The Union Institute and University, Cincinnati. Dissertation: Practices of Prayer: Practical Spirituality in the Context of Pastoral Theology. Internship: Formation Program in Spiritual Direction, Institute for Christian Studies, Episcopal Diocese, Orlando, Fl.
1984 M. Div., Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, Pa.
1980 B.S. in Education, Lock Haven University, Pa.
1973 A.A., Northeastern Junior College, Villanova, Pa.
2010 - 2013 Faculty, West Virginia Licensed Pastors’ Course of Study, The United Methodist Church
“Pastoral Care for Spiritual Formation”, Fall term
2001 – Present Executive Director, Spiritworks Center for Formation & Leadership.
- Education and training of leaders and professionals.
- Humanitarian philanthophy, outreach, and service projects to Rwanda, Africa.
2006 - 2008 Associate Professor of Spiritual Formation and Direction, Mars Hill Graduate School, Seattle, Wa.
- Chair, Theology Department
- Chair, TRACS Recertification Committee
- Member, By-Law Committee
- Faculty Advisor, Chapel/Worship Student Committee
2006 - 2007 Adjunct Faculty, Fuller Seminary, Seattle Campus
Lecturer in Christian Education and Catechesis
2003 – 2006 Associate Professor of Christian Formation and Educational Ministries, Seattle Pacific University. School of Theology, Wa.
- Scholarship Academic Programs and Special Events
- University Faculty Council
- Faculty Advisor
- Worship Committee of the University Chaplain
2002 - 2003 Hospice Chaplain, VITAS Hospice of Central Florida, Orlando, Fl.
- On-call chaplain for the dying and their families
- Ecumenical religious consultant, Hospice team
- Created rituals for the dying and their families
2001 Substitute Teacher, Elementary Education, Winter Park School District, Fl.
1996–2000 Associate Council Director, Spiritual Formation, Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church, Lakeland, Fl.
- Budgeted and administered division
- Authored major women’s spirituality resources
- Established joint school for Spiritual Direction with the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida
- Hosted National Spiritual Formation Consultation
- Facitiated worship for 1,500 member Annual Conference
1993–1996 Associate Council Director, Spiritual Nurture and Evangelism, Central Pennsylvania Conference, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Authored resource on worship for congregations.
- Created resource on vocational discernment.
- Authored book on leadership.
- Administered network of field consultants.
1989 - 1993 Executive Secretary for Mission Evangelism, General Board of Global Ministries, The United Methodist Church, New York City, N.Y.
- Consulted with congregations and churches throughout U.S. and six continents
- Authored two major policy statements
- Served as liaison staff to the Evangelism Program Ministry of the National Council of Churches.
1987-1989 Chaplain-Supervisor Residency, Association for Clinical Pastoral Educators, Lehigh Valley Medical Center, Allentown, Pa.
1989 Interim Pastor, inner-city multi-racial congregation, Trinity United Methodist Church.
1987 Substitute Teacher, Elementary Education, Danville School District, Danville, Pa.
1984-1987 Pastor to three rural congregations, Muncy Valley United Methodist Charge, Pa.
1982 - 1984 Chaplain, Basic-Advanced Residency, Association for Clinical Pastoral Educators, Geisinger Medical Center and Danville State Mental Hospital, Danville, Pa.
1980-1981 Chaplain, Worlds End-Ricketts Glen State Parks, The Pennsylvania Council of Churches.
1978-80 Co-Pastor (Clergy Couple), Student Pastor, two rural congregations, Castanea- Farrandsville United Methodist Churches, Pa.
- 2009 Interim Congregational MInistry Training, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. Pa.
- 2005-09 Board of Directors and Secretary, Hope Made Real, Rwanda, Africa.
- 2004 Minister of Discipleship, Queen Anne United Methodist Church, Seattle.
- 2001 Spiritual Director, Institute of Christian Studies, Episcopal Diocese.
- 1999 Bereavement Facilitator, Walking the Mourner’s Path, Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida.
- 1992-96 Trustee, Board of Directors, Lebanon Valley College, Pa.
- 1993 Evangelism Statement of the National Council of Churches, USA
- 1992 Certified tutor, Volunteer Service Award, Laubach Literacy International.
- 1987 Clinical Member, Association for Clinical Pastoral Educators.
- 1986 Ordained Elder, The United Methodist Church.
- 1985-89 Founding Board of Directors, Women’s Rape and Crisis Center, Sullivan Co., Pa.
- 1982 Ordained Deacon, The United Methodist Church.
- 1980-01 Certificate of Teaching, PA State Department of Education
- 1980-01 Certified Reading Specialist, PA State Department of Education
- 1978-82 Licensed Pastor, The United Methodist Church.
Publications and Miscellaneous Presentations
- 30 Days of Hidden Hope for Hard Times, Sustaining words for difficult financial days. (Pittsburgh, Spiritworks Press, 2009).
- Pilgrimage: Meditations on a Journey of Faith. (Nashville, Abingdon Press, 2007).
- Paths to Prayer: Finding Your Own Way to the Presence of God. Discover Your Prayer Type and Explore 40 Ways to Pray From 2000 Years of Christian Tradition (SanFrancisco: Jossey-Bass Publishing, 2003).
- How to Start and Sustain a Faith-Based Women’s Spirituality Group: Circle of Hearts (Nashville: Abingdon, 2003).
- Heart to Heart: A Spiritual Journey for Women, Participant Guide (Nashville: Dimensions for Living, 1999).
- From the Heart Journal: A Personal Prayer Journal (Nashville: Dimensions for Living, 1999).
- Learning to Lead From Your Spiritual Center (Nashville: Abingdon, 1996).
- SpiritGifts: One Spirit, Many Gifts, Participant’s Resource (Nashville: Abingdon, 1996).
- SpiritGifts: One Spirit, Many Gifts, Leaders’ Resource (Nashville: Abingdon, 1996).
- 365 Affirmations for Hopeful Living (Nashville: Dimensions for Living, 1992).
- Meditations for HIV & AIDS Ministries (New York: General Board of Global Ministries,1992).
- Worship Resources for HIV & AIDS (New York: General Board of Global Ministries,1991).
Chapters and Articles in Books
- Spiritual Direction in Context, “Circle of Hearts: Women’s Spirituality Groups” (Harrisburg, Pa.: Morehouse Publ., 2006.)
- Dictionary of Christian Spiritual Formation, “Streams of Christian Spirituality: A Comparative Summary,” “Breath Prayer,” “Examen,” Guided Imagery,” Meditation, Mental Prayer,” Personality and Prayer,” “Pilgrimage,” Prayer,” “Prayer Meeting,” “Prayer of the Heart,” “Prophetic Prayer,” “Rosary, ” Verbal Prayer,” Keith Beasley-Topliffe, ed. (Nashville: Upper Room Books, 2003.
- Meditations for Mothers of Young Children. (Nashville: Abingdon, 1994).
Selected Articles and Reviews
- “Sacred Waiting: Waiting on God in a World that Waits for Nothing: Book Review, Sacramental Life, Pentecost 2012, Vol. XXIV, No. 3, 33-34.
- “Accompany Then with Singing”,Thomas G. Long,Westminster John Knox Press, 2009. Book Review, Sacramental Life, Spring 2010 (xxii.2) volume, 32-34.
- “Spiritual Direction and Meditaive Body Prayer,” peer reviewed professional journal, Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction, vol.16, no. 3, September 2010, 53-58.
- “Accompany Them with Singing”, Book review, Sacramental Life, Vol. 23, No. 2, Spring 2010, 32.
- “Spiritual Direction and Psychological Theory and Practice: Two Paradigms,” peer reviewed professional journal, Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction, vol. 15, no. 2, June 2009, 43-48.
- “The Ministry of Children’s Education,” book reviews, Christian Education Journal, Spring, 2005, 212, 216.
- “Godly Play, An Imaginative Approach to Religious Education,” book review, Christian Education Journal, Spring 2005.
- “The Best of Times,” Leader in Christian Education Ministries, Vol. 18, No. 4, Spring 2005, 3.
- “Pilgrimage to God,” Response: The Voice of Women in Mission, Vol. 36 No. 7, August 2004, 22- 24.
- “My Mother Teresa,” Leader in Christian Education Ministries, Vol. 18 No. 3, Winter 2004- 2005.
- “Preparing Our Heart,” Leader in Christian Education Ministries, Vol. 17, No. 1, Summer 2003, 3.
- Upper Room Dictionary of Christian Spiritual Formation, "Streams of Christian Spirituality Comparison (Chart)," Nashville: Upper Room, Spring 2003.
- “Prayer,” Nashville: Leader in the Church School Today, March, April, May, 2003.
- “Evangel: Hail Mary Who Leads the Way,” The Living Pulpit, Jan.-Mar. 2002, 10-11.
- “Training Spiritual Directors through the Sunday School,” Nashville: Leader Magazine, Spring 2002.
- "Spiritual Director Training for the Sunday School," Leader in the Church School Today, March, April, May 2002.
- “Circle of Hearts: Women’s Spirituality Groups,” San Francisco: Presence: The Journal of Spiritual Directors International, v.7, no. 2. June 2001, 54-61.
- “The Holy Spirit and Mission Dynamics,” book review, Missiology: An International Review 28/1, January 2000, 114 –115.
- “Spiritual Formation through Interactive Bible Study,” Nashville: Leader Magazine, March-April-May 2000, 27 -30.
- “Let the Holy Spirit Lead Your Educational Program,” Nashville: Leader Magazine, June-July-August, 1997, 7-11.
- “Compassionate Ministry: Theological Foundations,” by Bryan P. Stone. Missiology An International Review, Vol. XXV, No. 3, July, 1997.
- “Chaos: Precondition for New Life,” Nashville: Dateline Magazine, New York: General Board of Discipleship, 11/7, July 1995, 1-2.
- “The Whole Pastor,” Nashville: Circuit Rider, February, 1995.
- “Lighting New Fires for Jesus Christ,” Nashville: Newscope Inspiration Series, 1992.
- “Liturgical Evangelism for the Campus Community Dealing With Aids,” Entrée Magazine: Campus Ministry Communication, ELCA , January, 1992.
- “Prayer,” New York: New World Outlook, 52/3 January-February, 1992, 24-25.
- “Holy Living-Holy Dying,” a study document on death and dying, adopted at The General Conference of The United Methodist Church, 1992.
- “God Does Not Foreclose: The Universal Promise of Salvation,” by David Lowes Watson. Book review. Missiology: An International Review, Vol. XIX, No.4, October, 1991.
- “Prayer for Leadership.” Nashville: Leader Magazine, Winter, 2002.
- “Streams of Christian Spirituality: Summary Comparison.” Upper Room Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, Nashville: The Upper Room, May 2003.
- Upper Room Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, fifteen miscellaneous articles on prayer. Nashville: The Upper Room, May 2003.
- Sanctuary for Lent, Nashville: Abingdon, 1992.
- The Upper Room Disciplines, “Week of Devotions”, Nashville: Abingdon, 1992.
- “Mission Evangelism: Passion and Heartbeat of the Gospel.” New York: Timely Variety Guidelines for Pastors, General Board of Global Ministries, October 1992.
- “Blessed Assurance: Liturgical Evangelism for the Worshiping Community Dealing With Aids.” Nashville: Links, General Board of Discipleship, September 1992.
- “Ten Steps to Deliverance: Addiction Deliverance Resource for the Urban Church”. New York: General Board of Global Ministries, 1990.
- “Hearing Their Cries,” New York: New World Outlook, January – February 1990, 12-13, 33, 41.
- “Breaking the Bonds of Literacy,” Danville, Pa., Central Susquehanna Literacy Council Magazine, February 1990, 5.
- “The Weaving of Word and Deed: Missions Evangelism, Annual Report,” New York: New World Outlook, May-June 1989.
Selected Papers and Lectures
- “Paths to Prayer for Pastors and Other Servants’, Bishop’s Convocation, N.J. Conference, The United Methodist Church, January 22 - 23, 2009
- “The Medieval Pilgrimage,” European Studies Symposium, Seattle Pacific University, February 15, 2006.
- “Pilgrimage,” Spiritual Director’s International Annual Symposium and Conference, April 19 – 23, 2006.
- “Spirituality and Aging,” Faculty Forum on Aging: Seattle Pacific University, Office of Academic Affairs, 2005.
- “Paths to Prayer.” Winter Clergy Retreat, Puget Sound District of The United Methodist Church, March 9, 2005.
- “That You All May Be One,” keynote speaker to the Ecumenical Council, Houston, TX, February 18 –20, 2005.
- “When You Pray.” Lenten Lecture Series, St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church, Seattle, March 3, 4, 17, 2004
- Book Lecture, “Paths to Prayer,” East West Bookstore, Seattle, Winter 2004.
- Book Talk with Local Clergy, “ Paths to Prayer,” Queen Anne Bookstore, Seattle, April 4, 2004.
- AM Talk Radio, three live interviews, broadcast to the Seattle Community, Winter 2004 and Spring 2005.
- “Paths to Prayer” Keynote Speaker and Workshop Leader, Virginia Annual Conference, The United Methodist Women Annual Retreat, Richmond, May 2- 4, 2004.
- “The Spirituality of Leadership.” Keynote Address, Houston Leadership School, Houston, Texas, September 14, 2002.
- “Practices of Prayer.” Flagler Beach United Methodist Church and Flagler Beach Community, February 2002.
- “One Spirit, Many Gifts: Finding God’s Will and Your Vocation.” Willowbrook United Methodist Church Weekend Retreat, Sun City, Arizona, March 2002.
- Formation Program in Spiritual Direction, Institute for Christian Studies, Orlando, Fl., “Ten Streams of Christian Traditions in Spiritual Direction,“ 2001.
- “Christian Spiritual Formation and Psychological Theory and Practice: Two Contrasting Paradigms,” paper presented to the American Academy of Religion, Religion and the Social Science Section in Denver, Nov. 2001.
- “Prayer and Spiritual Leadership.” National Health and Welfare Association, Dallas, Keynote Speaker, 2001.
- Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association, N.J., Chaplain and daily lecture, 2000.
- Yellowstone Conference of the UMC, Montana, Keynote Speaker,1999.
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Presbytery, Presbyterian Church USA, Keynote Speaker, 1999.
- Onondaga Valley Presbytery, N.Y., Presbyterian Church USA, Keynote Speaker.
- “The Spirituality of Leadership.” New England Conference, clergy retreat facilitator, 1998.
- "Taking Spirituality to the Local Congregation.” Southeastern Jurisdiction Ministry Forum, Keynote Speaker, 1998.
- “Spiritual Formation in the Local Church.” Presbyterian National Spiritual Formation Conference, Orlando. Workshop presenter and panelist, 1998.
- Virginia Conference, United Methodist Church , “Making Disciples,” seminar leader and panelist, 1998.
- United Church of Christ, Fox Valley Association (Chicago), seminar leader, 1998.
- Rocky Mountain Annual Conference, United Methodist Church, speaker and preacher, 1998.
- “Rooted and Established in God’s Love, Identifying Spiritual Gifts,” North Central New York Conference, Great Event 97, seminar leader, 1997.
- “Philippians: Lighting New Fires for Jesus Christ.” West Ohio Annual Conference, United Methodist Church, Bible study leader, 1997.
- Chautauqua Institute, New York. Summer school faculty: “Spiritual Leadership,” 1996.
- “Worship, Claiming Sacred Space,” Convocation on Worship, Baltimore / Washington Conference, speaker, 1996.
Memberships in Professional Organizations
- National Alliance for Grieving Children
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Pediatric Palliative Care Coalition
Present Community Involvement
- Urukundo Home for Children, Rwanda, Africa, Consultant.
- Democratic National Committee, Forest Hills
Web sites: www.http://spiritworksdotorg.wordpress.com/
301 Overdale Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15221